Friday, June 26, 2015

Definitely Not Sushi (But Still Just As Awesome.)


                Hello! Welcome back! The weather here is roasting my fair skin, and cooking is making this one hundred degree weather even worse. Sunburn and the heat from the grill, well... lets face it, its sushi or bust for my second recipe of the week (no heat required besides the rice.) 
                      This is a happenstance recipe, My sister's husband, (my brother in law) has an older sister, has a husband that... Well anyway, I got my hands on some Blue ling cod. If you don't know what that is, its fish. Its a type of cod, but it is literally neon blue. (Yes guys, blue.) It's also called Bubblegum ling, or green ling. The fish is ... you guessed it, blue, and so is its meat. (Of course, I have pictures.) 



                                        *I found this picture on google, I have no rights to it.
                                

                So, I decided to cook up some blue ling cod. I was quite taken with the idea of working with a fish as rare as this one, and also I was like... "Guys, I have to show my cooking blog readers this awesome fish!" Yes, I thought of you dear reader. So thus is the reason that I this blog is not sushi. (Sorry! Still going to make it for you, I promise.)  This recipe is decadent, delicious, and actually quite simple if you are familiar working with a grill. Also I would like to stress that any fish that you cook (or anything for that matter) should be FRESH. Not only does it taste better that way, but it drastically reduces any risk of a food borne illness.  
And THUS...
                                            Blue Ling cod with Lemon Herb Glaze
                                                             Ingredients (For the cod)
                                                             Alaska Blue ling cod 8 ounces
                                                             Olive oil 1 Teaspoon
                                                             Kosher salt 1/8 Teaspoon
                                                            Ingredients (For the glaze)
                                                            Olive oil¼ Cup + 2 Tablespoons
                                                            Freshly squeezed Lemon Juice 1 ½ Tablespoons
                                                            Lemon Zest 1 Tablespoon
                                                            Chopped Fresh Thyme 4 Tablespoons
                                                             Finely Chopped Fresh Ginger 1 Tablespoon
                                                             Kosher Salt ¼ Teaspoon
                                                             Sugar ¼ Teaspoon

                   One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish!  We shall begin with the best part. Let's give this fish a massage. Pour the olive oil and the salt over the stunningly blue fish. (It matches my eyes don't you agree?) And rub it in. Don't worry, you don't have to be a massage therapist to do this. I did it, and you can ask any of my friends and they will tell you that I am really bad at giving back rubs. 
                           Now, tell who's boss, and make it go sit and think about what its done. (Marinade, that is) And now work on your glaze. 
                  

                   Combine the olive oil and the lemon juice, zest the lemon and add that and the thyme at the same time...  If you get it... Add the ginger, salt and sugar. Originally, the recipe called for basil and garlic, but I thought this might taste better. It did. Because I am always right. Totally. All the time. (But seriously, its better this way.) Whisk, and you have your glaze. Leave it to sit, so that all of the flavors can combine peacefully without you disturbing it all the time. (Jeez people) 
                 

                   
                           Now return to your fish. Its time to cut it into fillets. 
                   Take a very sharp knife and position over any 'ragged' area of the fish. (The pictures will explain this much better than I can.) Cut with a clean and firm stroke (One or two strokes preferred, please don't saw the fish like its a piece of wood.)

Final result... 



                              Grilling. 
                      This is the part where pyromaniacs like me have the most fun, I mean, you get to use a blowtorch. (A real blowtorch!!)  True confession here, I am not actually a pyromaniac.  But a blowtorch is the respectable and awesome way to start a barbecue. Trust me.
                          This is a charcoal starter. It is also the best way to light a barbecue without lighter fluid, (which is GROSS)  

                               TO LIGHT.
                  Step one. Go find a responsible adult who can help you play with fire. (When you realize that you are the responsible adult, cry.)
                 Step two. So, you are going to want to put some paper in the bottom and fill up with coals. 
                  Step three. Take your blow torch and wreak havoc on the paper. (Don't go overboard and light other things on fire please, I don't want people to think I recommend that on my cooking blog.)
                    Step four. When the coals are ready, put them into the barbecue. 

                     There is no wood needed for this recipe, since we aren't really aiming for smoked fish. (Though delicious, its a completely different flavor, and one that would mask the flavor of the blue ling cod.)
                   Glaze fish with the concoction that I had you make... (I just didn't want to say glaze twice.) and put it on the grill. So flashback to Moroccan Lamb Stew time, remember how I told you how to "Shimmy" the meat?  Do it with the fish on the barbecue for the same reason.  You don't want it to stick. Careful though, cod is delicate and you don't want it to break. 

                              




                            Leave on until the side nearest the coals is GBD (golden brown and delicious) Check this by carefully turning over the side of the fish to look at the color. Then roll it over to the other side. Make sure that the fish is equally situated over the coals.


 DO NOT BURN THE EXTREMELY RARE FISH. I REPEAT, DO NOT BURN THE EXTREMELY RARE FISH. Glaze the browned side again, and wait for two minutes before checking the cooking side again. The temperature of the finished fillet should be around 140 degrees  Fahrenheit  Take off of the grill (CAREFULLY) and put on a plate. 
                                         

                                       Your Blue ling cod is delicious and ready to be eaten, just serve with vegetables and garnish with parsely.... For the great reveal.... (Man, I really have to get a drum roll in here somehow.) 
                               
                        

I will do sushi as soon as possible, you mark my words. :) Until next time though my friends. 

1 comment:

  1. I can attest that it was truly yummy!! I eat a LOT of fish and this is a recipe that I totally intent to use and never would have thought of doing myself - Thank you Arya!! Or should I now refer to you as Grill Queen..

    ReplyDelete